Friday, December 5, 2008

Materi 2

American Numbers and Prices

Remember that in English, we divide prices at the decimal point.

For example: $4.59 four dollars (and) fifty-nine cents
four / fifty nine (long way)
(short way)
(Time is also divided in a similar way: 12:47 is said "twelve / forty-seven")
Americans often say large numbers in "phrases" of two digits.

For example: 267
4381 two hundred sixty-seven
two / sixty seven
four thousand three hundred eighty-one
forty-three / eighty-one (long way)
(short way)
Some people also use two-digit phrasing with telephone numbers:
565-8347 five-six-five // eighty-three / forty-seven
Practice the following prices (both long and short ways) with a partner:
That will be____(price)______
That comes to ____(price)____
$59.65
$27.95
$14.40 $1.79*
$6.75
$77.17 $29.00**
$82.03
$70.50 $425.78
$781.34
$211.54 $231.49
$690.42
$380.18 $3,657.88
$9,405.31
$1,550.15
*Also: a dollar seventy-nine
**Also: twenty-nine (dollars) even

Asking for Information

1. What is this?
2. What is that?
3. What's this?
4. What's that?
5. What are these?
6. What are those?
7. Where is Mr. King?
8. Where is Ms. Knight?
9. Where's Johnny?
10. When's the movie?
11. When's lunch?
12. How is the food? This is a table.
That is a chair.
It's a pen.
It's an apple.
These are pencils.
Those are books.
He is over there.
She's (right) here.
He's in the house.
It's at 9:00.
Lunch is at noon.
It's delicious.


Asking for Directions

1. Excuse me. Is there a grocery store around here?
2. Can you tell me how to get to Phoenix?
3. Where's Tanner's Leather Shop?
4. How do you get to the bank? Yeah. There's one right across the street.
Sorry. I don't live around here.

It's on the corner of Holly and Vine. Next to the library.
Go straight down this street for two blocks. Turn left when you get to Maple Street. Stay on Maple for half a block. It's on the left hand side.


Asking about Place/Location


Where is the bank? It's on Main Street.
It's next to the post office.
It's between the bakery and the barber shop.

It's on the corner of Ninth Street and Pine (Street).
Where's Lagoon?
It's in Davis County, near Kaysville.
It's on I-15, between Farmington and Kaysville.
It's ten miles north of Salt Lake City.


Directions
How do you get to the sporting goods store? (on foot) First, go down State Street until you get to 4th South.
Then, turn left.
Then, go down 4th South for three blocks.
It's on the right side of the street next to Wendy's. (by car) Take State Street to 4th South.
At 4th South, turn left.
Stay on 4th South for about three blocks.
The sporting goods store will be on the right, next to Wendy's.
How do you get to (your house in) Lehi?
Take I-15 south about 20 miles. After you cross the mountain, watch forthe signs to Lehi.
Take the first Lehi exit.When you get off the freeway, make a right turn at the stop sign.
Follow the road (15th East) for five blocks.Make a left turn on Royal Drive.
Continue on Royal Drive until you see the big oak tree.
My house is on the left hand side.
It's a two-story, red brick house with a large front yard.
You can't miss it!


Asking for Favors

1. Can you help me with my math?
2. Could you bring me some coffee?

3. Would you open the car door for me?

4. Could I ask you a favor? Sure. What's the problem?
I'd be glad to. How do you like it?
No problem. It looks like your hands are full.
It depends. What is it?


Asking for Repetition

What did you say your name was?
Did you say Andersen or Henderson?
Is "Cathy" spelled with a C or a K?
And what was your address again?
Sorry, I didn't catch the last part.
I can't hear you very well. It's Cathy Henderson.
Henderson, with an H.
It's C as in Cadillac.
72 West Sunshine Blvd., Suite 501.
Do you want me to repeat it?
Maybe you should turn down the radio.
Buying and Selling

1. May I help you?

2. What can I do for you?

3. Is there something I can help you with? Yes, I'd like to buy these razors.
I'm looking for the cameras.
No, I'm just browsing. Thanks anyway.
How much is this? Okay, that'll be $6.85 with tax.
They're in Aisle Two.
Ok.

It's $4.95.


Closing a Conversation

Before closing
It's been nice talking to you.
Nice talking to you too. (I'm sorry, but) I have to go now.


Closing
Good-bye
Bye.
See you later.
See ya (informal)
Catch you later (informal)


Comparing

1. Which sofa should we buy?

2. I need a new watch.


3. Which runner are you cheering for?
4. I like the blue sweater.

5. How much sugar should I add? This one is larger, but it is also more
expensive.

The Classie is nicer than the Timebox.
That one is less affordable though.
Sammy. He's the fastest.
But Timmy is the most handsome.
I think the red one is better.
but the green one is the best.
Only a little.
That's too much!


Count and Non-count Nouns in Context

Count and Non-count Nouns in Context
Non-count Nouns

I'd like to buy some ____________.
How much do you need?
Let's see. Five ____s* should be enough.
All right. Five____s of ________.
Anything else?
No, that will be all for today.
Count Nouns

I'd like to buy some ___________s.
How many do you need?
Let's see. Five (of them) should be enough.
All right. Five __________s.
Anything else?
No, that will be all for today.


Conversation Starters


General greetings and inquiries

How's it going?
How's everything?
How's life? (This means "How are you?"
not "Where are you going?")

Asking about present activities

What's up?
What's happening? (What are you doing now?)

Asking and telling about recent events

What's new?
Guess what? (What interesting has happened since I last saw you?)
(I want to tell you something. Ask me about it.)
(The appropriate response to this is "What?")
A: Guess what?
A: I just got a new job. B: What?
B: Congratulations!


Bringing up a serious topic

Can I talk to you for a minute?
Do you have a minute?
Got a minute?


Contractions

In speaking, contractions are often used in place of auxiliary verbs such as is, are, am, will, have, has, had, and would.

See the following examples:
Regular

I am British.
He is Chinese.
They are Italians.
There is a man at the door.
Where is the butter?
What is he doing?
Who is that?
She is going to the beach.
We are going to eat now.
They are not ready yet.
I will be back in a minute.
There will be lots of food.
I have seen that movie already.
She has finished her homework.
I had played that game before.
We would be glad to help.
They would like to go now. Contracted
I'm British.
He's Chinese.
They're Italians.
There's a man at the door.
Where's the butter?
What's he doing?
Who's that?
She's going to the beach.
We're going to eat now.
They're not ready yet.
I'll be back in a minute.
There'll be lots of food.
I've seen that movie already.
She's finished her homework.
I'd played that game before.
We'd be glad to help.
They'd like to go now.


Describing

1. What does Martha look like?
2. What else can you tell me?
3. What is George like?
4. Tell me about your new apartment.
5. What did you think of the Himalayas? She's tall, dark and beautiful.
Well, she has long, black hair and blue eyes. She's kind of chubby and wears glasses.

He's funny, cute and really rich. He reminds me of that guy on the Morning Show.
Well, it's pretty small. It only has two rooms and a bathroom. But it's comfortable enough for me.
Well, the view was gorgeous. Of course, it took two days to get there, and the weather was freezing!


Describing a picture

What do you see in the picture?
There is a
There's a
There are some
There're some
Is there a . . . ?
Are there (some) . . . ?

Locations

On the right/left
Near the window By the door
In the box On the chair
Under the table
Actions
The man is _______ ing
The woman is __________ing

Clothing
What is the man/woman wearing?
She/He is wearing a
some

Opinions

What do you think
I think
Tell a Story
Yesterday, Ms. Jones . . .
Use PAST tense


Describing People


Personality and Appearance


1.Tell me about your father.
What kind of person is he?
2. What does he look like?
3. What does your mother look like?
4. How about your little sister?


Clothing

5. What is your brother wearing?
6. What kind of shoes does he have (on)?
7. Is Susan wearing a dress?
8. Anything else?


Description

Well, he's very friendly, smart and funny.

He's young, short and handsome.
He has straight black hair and green eyes.

She's tall, thin and beautiful.
She has blonde hair and wears glasses.

She has curly red hair and a cute smile.
Everybody likes her.


He's wearing light brown pants and an orange t-shirt.

Sneakers, and he's wearing white socks.

No. She's wearing a blue skirt and a yellow blouse.

Yes. She's wearing boots and carrying a purse.


Encouraging Words


Expressing Goodwill



. . .when someone is arriving


Welcome
Welcome back!
Come in.
It's good to meet you.
(first time only)
It's good to see you again.
(after the first time)
. . . when someone is leaving
It's been nice talking with you.
Have a good/nice day.
Have a nice weekend.
Have a nice trip.
Have fun.
Keep in touch.


Encouragement

Good luck!
Good luck on your test.
You can do it!
Do your best.
Do the best you can.
Work hard.
Keep up the good work.
Reassurance
Take it easy.
Don't worry.
That's okay.
It's going to be all right.
Everything will be fine.
No problem.
Responses to good news
Wow!
That's great!
That's wonderful.
That's really good news.
I'm glad/happy to hear that.
Congratulations!
Good for you!
Good job!
Responses to bad news
That's too bad.
That's really sad.
That's terrible!
(for really bad news)
I'm sorry to hear that.
(for sad news)


Expressing Likes and Dislikes
Likes and Dislikes



1. I like fruit.
2. Helen likes sports.
3. Ms. Cramer doesn't like coffee.
4. Tony does not like action movies.
5. Does Terry like swimming?
6. Does Phil like soft drinks?
7. Does Sheila like salad?
8. Do you like Chinese food? What kind?


What kind of sports?

Really? Does she like tea?

Oh. What kind does he like?

Yes, he does.

No, he doesn't.

No, she does not.

Yes, I do.

No, I don't.

A little. Oranges and bananas.

Football and tennis.

Yes, she does.

(He likes) drama


Expressing Posibility

1. We can stay here for the evening.

2. I may be in California next Monday.

3. She might not make it to the wedding.
4. We could go (and) see a movie.
Or we could go out for ice cream. I'd rather not. It's only a few more hours (of driving).
Well, let me know what you decide.
That's too bad. I hope she feels better soon.
That would be fun.


Expressing Thanks



Expressing Thanks


Thanks
Thank you
I appreciate it.

Thanks for the tour.
Thanks for your time.
Thank you for the nice gift.
I appreciate your kindness


Giving Directions

1. Excuse me. Is there a grocery store around here?
2. Can you tell me how to get to Phoenix?
3. Where's Tanner's Leather Shop?
4. How do you get to the bank? Yeah. There's one right across the street.
Sorry. I don't live around here.

It's on the corner of Holly and Vine. Next to the library.
Go straight down this street for two blocks. Turn left when you get to Maple Street. Stay on Maple for half a block. It's on the left hand side.
Giving Information

1. Jeremy is from Ohio.
2. Kelly is a saleswoman.
3. He's a university student.
4. Ronda lives in Texas.
5. I work at a restaurant.
6. I live in Florida.
8. Where are you from?
9. What is your occupation? Oh really? What part of Ohio?

Is that right? What company?
Oh. What university?
Really? What city (in Texas)?
Oh really? Which restaurant?
Oh yeah? Where in Florida?
I'm from Delaware.
I'm a police officer. Columbus.

Microsoft.
Harvard.
Dallas.
Angelo Meroni's
Orlando

Classroom Questions

What is your name? My name is Robert.
You can call me Bob
What is it? That's a pencil.
What is that? It's a desk.
How do you say it in English? Eraser.
How do you spell it? E-R-A-S-E-R
Please say it again. All right.
Please speak more slowly. OK. Listen carefully.
I don't understand. Let me explain.
I'm sorry. That's okay.


Introducing Others

Conversation Practice

These types of introductions involve three people:
A: The introducer (who knows both B and C)
B: Introducee (knows A but not C)
C: Introducee (knows A but not B)
Example,
A: Have you two met each other?
B: No, we haven't.
A: Ben, this is Carol. Carol this is Ben.
(B and C smile and shake hands.)
B: Nice to meet you Carol.
C: Nice to meet you too, Ben.
Follow-up:
After you have been introduced to someone,
it is polite to ask a few general questions* to get acquainted.
For example,
B: Where are you from, Carol?
C: I'm from Connecticut.

B: Connecticut, which part?
C: Hartford, the capital. How about you, Ben?
B: Nebraska--a place called Bellevue. It's near Omaha.
C: How do you know Alan (A)?
B: He is my friend from college.
Practice introducing your friends to each other.
Remember to smile (and use handshakes where appropriate).
* When meeting someone for the first time,
it is not appropriate to ask certain types of questions.
Do NOT ask:
A person's age
Birth date
Salary
Weight


Marital status


You may ask general questions about the situation.
How do you know Alan (the person who introduced us)?
Are you a student at this university?
Is this your first time here?
What do you do for a living?
How long have you been working for (company)?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home